20 February 2007

Less than 3 weeks to go

I applied do some development work in Laos in an Australian government funded program. I was pretty happy that I was offered a position and even more so when I found out A my boyfriend was also offered a position. We had decided to both apply for one position each in the same country to see what happens, although I did end up applying for a couple more in the next round of jobs that came out. I really wanted to go when I was offered the position and I'm glad that A decided to come too. I'm not sure what would have happened if he really didn't want to go.

I'd heard about this program at uni, and had been really interested in participating in the program ever since. I think it's the (Girl) Guide in me that says go! There are definitely other Guides that have been on this program before but in all the countries Guides are in, Laos is not one of them.

My prepearations are underway for going to Laos. Vaccinations done. Moved out of the city. I am quite excited about going, but am well aware that after a while a dose of reality is bound to hit at some point and I'm my negativity and cynicism will kick in. But I'm sure I'll get over it. Last week I was informed that I definitely need a motorbike helmet and should buy a scooter when I get there. I still perceive motorbikes as rather dangerous and generally advise against them. Gradually I'm thinking I should get a scooter, but my mindset still has a little bit to go before I can say I'm getting one.

No comments: