27 March 2007

Hot

I started work yesterday. I got in a tuk- tuk by myself for the first time. The people are really friendly and seem to like having a laugh. Most are living with a disability. Yesterday I realised I have entered a new sector of the economy, development. I had not thought about that. It seems to be getting harder for me to be able to make up some kind of direction on my resume, because there is none. Oh well, I don't have to worry about that for a while. Work asked me if I had any idea what I wanted to do this year. I didn't really have much of an idea because I was so focussed on the process of getting here, I didn't think about what I'd be doing once I started work! Some ideas are different from home eg I noticed that in a planning document they were referring to 'blind and deaf-and-dump people'.

It's starting to get really hot here, when it's 30 degrees, I now consider this cool. The temperature doesn't drop much below 30 degrees, even at night. Even the office is close to 30 degrees with the air conditioning on. It's actually not too bad, I think those couple of weeks in Queensland helped me acclimatise really quickly. The sun doesn't seem too strong which is good. This could be due to the forest fires around. It has been really smokey and hazy.

The other day I started riding around on my bicycle. It's actually a bit scary. I get scared when a truck comes past when I'm in the car. I'm even more scared when I'm on a bicycle! At least people do look out for other vehicles, well, in a way. It is interesting to see how differently people drive around when there are no road rules and there is no liability unless you really hurt someone. There are no drink driving laws that can be enforced so I'm going to be extra careful if I have to ride around after dark. I'll start riding to work if/ when I move closer. I don't know what's happening with my house. We can't seem to make an appointment to see the landlord. We don't know whether to interpret this as the house is not available. Maybe it's just because in their culture it's ok to not keep appointments.

I'd also like to mention that the coffee here is great, so come over! Also, I saw a chicken yesterday with missing feathers- not good!

No comments: