15 January 2008

In the minority

I have a friend who is woman with a disability, Hmong and Catholic. She is the first Lao Catholic I have met. There have been a few bad stories about what has happened to some christians here due to their religious beliefs and hope they're not true!

Anway, my friend had a baby whom I visited yesterday which is very exciting. Her daughter is called 'Noi' for now, which means small, and about the most common nickname I have come across. My language teacher tells me that a child only really needs a name when they start school, so often the child can go without a formal name until then.

She plans to go back to work in couple of months. Her and her husband will share looking after the baby because they both work part- time and can choose when to work. It sounds like a good arrangement!

No comments: